Chris Grasso is a Modern Day Robin of the Hood

Monday, January 29, 2007

And that's not just because he wears a lot of hoodies.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Hoodie: Side View

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Hoodie: Rear View

My roommate, Chris Grasso, is one of my closest friends. I lived with him once in college, and I live with him again now. He's truly one of those kids who can just put a smile on your face, even if you don't know why.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The Mark: Grasso: Making Us All Smile.

Chris' one drawback, if any, is that he is, well, um, a bit frugal. Some might say that he is just careful with his money.

This week, at the risk of missing the first few minutes of 24, Chris Grasso, for the first time in a LONG time, envoked the 3rd Commandment of Guy Friends: "You Fly, I Buy."

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Taco Bell: The Unwitting Participant

Chris Grasso will not be doing this again for a long, long time.

Why?

Because in his blind passion to consume both Taco Bell and Jack Bauer at the same time, he made the mistake of giving me his debit card.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Big Mistake.

If there's one thing I'm really good at, as a friend, it's keeping quiet about something that bugs me, and then eventually retaliating in an immature, irritating, but ultimately harmless way.

In this case, I have been irritated by Chris' frugality for months now. He may or may not be aware of this, as I don't really ever confront him about it, though I do make snide comments fairly regularly. If not, I'm sure he's aware of it now.

Here's what Grasso asked me to order for him:

2 Cheesy Gordita Crunches
1 Cheese Quesadilla
1 Grilled Stuft Burrito

This is indicated by the top half of the receipt:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Receipt: Very Bottom Heavy

This isn't meant to make Grasso sound like a fatass. We do this whenever we go to Taco Bell. In much the same way I like to date girls who have small hands - in order to make my penis look bigger - we like to over-order at Taco Bell. It makes us feel like bigshots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Joe Stapleton: Taco Millionaire

Luckily I had my trusty roommate/sidekick/hetero life partner, Sam, with me to asssit in this. I will say right now that Sam's first, second, and third reactions to this plan were "We shouldn't do this, Joe." But Sam also thinks it's a bad idea to meet girls off of Casual Encounters on Craig's List, so what the fuck does he know?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sam: Anti-Internet Dating, Pro-Not Saying No to Joe

Upon closer inspection, the bottom half of the receipt, although not eloquently worded, tells the tale of the extra THIRTY items we ordered, in an attempt to run up Grasso's tab to over $50.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Mission: Accomplished

After ordering, we hit a slight snafu with the cashier. Apparently you need to know someone's pin number in order to use a debit card at Taco Bell. After a quick call to Grasso, whose belabored breathing and irritated recitation of the four numbers quickly snuffed out any flames of regret I might have had, we had our order, and we were away.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Hector: Taco Bell Employee of the Decade

Oh, and in case you've never before seen this many digits ($58.02) on the display at the second window of a Taco Bell Drive through:

Sadly, I have.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Disposable Camera: Fucking Up My Blog

While initially I would have been satisfied to just see the look on Grasso's face when he got his bank statement and saw that I had spent $58.02 at Taco Bell, I realized that this plan had to have two parts. Wasting all that food would have been a bigger sin than any amount of frugality.

In addition to buying dinner for Sam, myself, and my other roommate, John - Grasso was also going to be providing a delicious, albeit not terribly healthy, meal for as many of Los Angeles' less fortunate souls as we could find.

Sadly, it is at this point that the photo blogging loses some steam. While I think it might have been entertaining to see some of LA's more personable transients thanking Grasso with a thumbs-up in photo form, something seemed just a bit exploitative about asking someone if he or she wanted food, and then asking for a picture in return. Comitting fraud and stealing from my friends is one thing. Photographing the homeless is another.

Having had the foresight to ask for extra bags, Sam and I proceeded to rearrange most of the food into smaller "grab bags" of Taco Bell, careful not to include any of our own food, lest we be found out upon returning home with the wrong amount of food. We then set out to find some homeless folks.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sam: Locked and Loaded

Surprisingly, we had to drive around for quite awhile trying to find these folks, who are seemingly everywhere when you're not looking for them. Eventually we decided to drive from the Valley, back to Hollywood, where we were sure to find some folks. Here is a list of things that also surprised me, and they may surprise you too:

** Some homeless people aren't hungry.
** Some homeless people don't like Taco Bell.
** Asking someone if they're hungry and want some extra Taco Bell is difficult to say without coming off as:
condescending - "Hey! You hungry? You want some Taco Bell?"
suspicious - "Hey, buddy. Are ya hungry? You want some Taco Bell?"
threatening - "Hey! You want some of this Taco Bell?"
reality TV - "Hey, we have this friend, and he gave us ALL this extra Taco Bell!"
** Some homeless people are apparently on the Atkins Diet.
**It is hard to tell the difference between hipster and homeless. Which leads to:
**Not everyone who walks around Hollywood at night is homeless.

I have to give Sam a ton of credit. He didn't really sign on for a 90-minute Taco Bell excursion, or to be an accomplice for bank fraud. Since he was the guy forced to accost all of these folks, he had a pretty tough job.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sam: "Delicate Question Asker" of the Year

Here's a conversation that happened a least a dozen times while we scoured Hollywood for hungry people:

Joe: How 'bout him? Is that guy homeless?
Sam: Joe, just because someone is black doesn't mean he's homeless!

In the end, we managed to give away all the extra food, and make it home just as 24 was ending. I had to tell a few white lies in order to have the time to publish this blog, but hopefully he won't be too mad when he reads this.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sam: No Remorse

I snapped this picture, just so I'll always remember happy Grasso, just in case he never forgives me.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Grasso: We Had Some Good Times at Least, Didn't We?

Someone was once quoted as saying that he's "stingier than a Black Jew's tip at an Old Country Buffet." I don't think that at all. I just think that splurging and being an idiot with money just isn't hardwired into his system. He just doesn't really think of it.

So on this particular occasion, I thought of it for him.

We love you, buddy.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Grasso: One Love

10 Comments:

Blogger impossibly me said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:25 PM  
Blogger impossibly me said...

A) what the hell are dinbn, dintac, and dinsft?
B) i used to think grasso was fictional. like nessie.
C) i don't believe you can really post anonymous blog comments. so i'm not.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is the most illegal yet philantropic blog I have ever read. Bravo gentlemen! *I think*

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe,maybe instead of searching for girls with small hands you should set your sights higher an search for girls with small vaginas

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marvelous, what a blоg it is! This blog
pгesents useful іnformatіon tο
us, keep it up. biblipedia.info -
how to take garcinia cambogia 1300 - garcinia cambogia garcinia cambogia 1500mg - garcinia plus organika - garcinia cambogia

11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am rеgular reader, how aгe уou еverybоdy?

Thіs paragraph posted at this wеb site іs truly fastіdious.


Ηere is my blog :: term life Insurance quotes

1:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please lеt me know іf you're looking for a article author for your site. You have some really great posts and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd absοlutely love to wгite some mateгiаl for уour blog іn eхсhange for a link bаck to mine.
Plеase shoot mе an e-mail if intereѕted.
Manу thanks!

My site ... green coffee extract

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, thіs ροst iѕ
niсe, my sister is analyzing these thingѕ, therеfore I am goіng to convеy hеr.


Fеel free to viѕіt my ωebpаge green coffee extract

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pay а visіt evеryday ѕome
web pages and informatіon siteѕ tο read агticleѕ, but thiѕ blοg prοviԁeѕ quality based articles.



Here is my ωeb рagе ... auto transport

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey There. I discονered your weblog the use οf mѕn.
Τhіs is an extгemely nеatly ωritten аrtiсle.
I will be surе to bοokmark іt anԁ гeturn to leaгn morе
of уοur helpful іnformation. Thank you for thе poѕt.

I will definitely return.

my blog post green coffee

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home